Marcelo Bielsa gives Leeds United injury update on Kalvin Phillips ahead of Arsenal clash

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa says that Kalvin Phillips may not be ready for the Premier League clash against Arsenal on Sunday, as well as adding further injury updates for his squad.

Leeds United could be without Kalvin Phillips for their trip to face Arsenal on Sunday, with Marcelo Bielsa admitting that the midfielder may not be available.

The 25-year-old sustained what looked to be a muscle problem midway through the second half of Leeds’ win against Crystal Palace in midweek, but stayed on for most of the match.

However, he was substituted late on after deeming himself unable to carry on, with Leeds fully in control at 2-0.

The England international had been hoping to be back in time to face the Gunners, but Bielsa has confirmed that Phillips still needs to be assessed before the game, and he could end up missing the trip altogether.

“There’s not a definite position at the moment whether he’ll be able to play or not,” Bielsa told reporters.

Leeds could instead turn to defender Pascal Struijk, who has filled in so far this season when Phillips has been absent.

The defender had plenty of chances to score against Palace from set-pieces at the weekend, but spurned three golden opportunities.

It could be something Arsenal have to watch out for at the weekend, though Struijk has been more comfortable at his more natural centre-half.

Bielsa also confirmed that Ian Poveda and Rodrigo Moreno are both unable to play on Sunday, while Pablo Hernandez may not be risked for the game.

“For the moment, no player comes back and Kalvin remains a doubt,” he added.

“[Hernandez] is not an injury that’s going to extend itself for a long time, like I said. But I’m always prudent when trying to give a timeline.

“I make an estimated reference. I don’t think it’s going to last for too long.”

Mikel Arteta receives £40m transfer boost as Arsenal fans go wild over latest concept kit leak

Here is your Arsenal morning digest for Friday, February 12.

Concept kit leak emerges

Arsenal supporters have been left with an image inside their heads about what next season’s away shirt could look like after one was leaked online.

Popular football website Footy Headlines, who often release images of kit leaks and a provide a range of other kit-related topics, uploaded images of what the Gunners’ 2021/22 away shirt could like look based on the designs made by a FIFA Kit Creator.

Two designs have been released, both of which are in Pearl Citrine. One of the shirts sports a blue trim and the other a burgundy one.

Whilst the Adidas logo and ‘Emirates Fly Better’ sponsor feature on both shirts, one of the most compelling changes could be the change in crest, with the cannon having been added to both instead of the modern-day Arsenal club crest.

Although these leaks are nothing more than concepts and possibilities at this moment in time, the designs have gone down well with the fans who have spotted them on social media.

To read through some of the comments made by Arsenal’s fans, click here.

Arsenal handed Buendia boost

Arsenal’s hopes of signing Norwich City midfield architect Emiliano Buendia this summer have been handed an encouraging boost after it emerged that the Canaries would be open to selling him if his true valuation was met.

Throughout the January transfer window, which saw Arsenal sign three new players, the club was heavily linked with signing Buendia after tracking his developments for several months.

However, the Canaries were not keen on the idea of letting go of their star asset midway through the season, especially when he is key to their promotion push.

Now, though, Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber has opened the door for Buendia to leave, alongside the likes of Max Aarons and Todd Cantwell, if his valuation is met.

“We have our valuation and if people don’t want to pay that, they don’t get them,” Webber told The Athletic.

“We don’t see it as us being unreasonable, we do know what our players are worth, what we’ve done for them, and what we want to be compensated for if they were to go.

“It’s inevitable that interest will come for those three because they’re terrific players and very experienced now for their age.

“When their journey here ends, we’ll make sure they get to a good place. Most importantly, their legacy has to be leaving Norwich in the best place it can be.”

According to the latest reports, Norwich value Buendia at around £40million.

Click here to read the full story.

Bruce makes Willock confession

Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce has admitted that he considered the idea of naming new signing Joe Willock on the bench for last Saturday’s 3-2 win over Southampton.

Willock joined the Magpies on transfer deadline day on loan from Arsenal for the rest of the season, bringing an end to Bruce’s month-long search for a central-midfielder.

The Gunners star made an immediate impact on Tyneside, scoring the opening goal to set the Magpies on their way to a huge three points, repaying Bruce for the faith he had shown in him.

As quoted by ChronicleLive, Bruce said: “We’re delighted. When a new signing walks through the door you wonder whether to put them on the bench or not.

“Then we said: ‘We’ve brought the kid into play, so let him play.’

“To score after 15 minutes he will remember his debut, it’s the quickest by any debutant so great for him.”

Newcastle are next in action against Chelsea on Monday night in the Premier League.